Thursday, January 7, 2010

Subway Art

By Father Tony

Beau's post yesterday about his morning subway ride reminded me that I had taken some pictures of the mosaics in the subway station in which I began my mornings when I was employed....

They are by Nancy Spero who died last year. One of her admirers placed her NY Times obit next to her shimmery mosaics.

Each subway station has its own distinctive artwork. Except for those unfortunate and far flung stations that are artless. Given its proximity to Lincoln Center, Nancy Spero used the opera Aida as her theme. I like to touch the bits of tile that have a metallic glow in them.


1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite stations too. I like the experience of it as I'm going past on the express as well. The glitter and differently scaled Aidas are a great effect.

    ReplyDelete