Thursday, July 15, 2010

Who knew the MTA is a Galactic Republic toady

By now I'm sure most everyone has either seen or heard about the Improv Everywhere's "Princess Leia adventure" on the NYC subways.  I'm dropping the clip in here just because it's all geekitude goodness.  Also, if I had been on that train (and oh how I wish I had been), I would have gotten total dork-wood with all those storm troopers.  Just sayin'.

But I have a question I keep asking over and over again, which I think says more about the emotional state of post-9/11 New Yorker's and at least my belief about the current state of affairs when it comes to the toleration for anything out of the ordinary to become a possible terrorist or pre-terrorist event:  When we're not even allowed to take pictures in or on subway cars, how could IE get a legion of masked Storm Troopers and a Darth Vader onto the train and film this whole skit without the NYPD swarming them and tear-gassing the hell out of the crowd?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for IE's kind of entertainment and you can see in the video how much most of the riders were enjoying this little departure from an otherwise hum-drum commute, but still, how did someone not report this.  Even knowing that masks and costumes aren't illegal, this is the kind of thing I'd think the NYPD would be going bat-shit crazy over.

No comments:

Post a Comment