Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ganymede Unfinished and Remembering John Stahle


I remember when the late John Stahle contacted me back in 2008, as I was establishing my queer reading series PANIC! and blazing my own trail through the labyrinthine New York City gay literary world. Mr. Stahle’s publication GANYMEDE was a huge boost for my work, as I was suddenly published alongside names like Edmund White, David Sedaris, and Oscar Wilde (¿que carajo?), and pieces such as my short story “An Old Man in Paris,” were published with contextual photographs that brought the words to life in a way I had never experienced. This was John Stahle’s magic…

Well, we lost him earlier this year and writers Bryan Borland and Matthew Hittinger stepped up to the plate to finish and publish the issue John had been working on at the time of his death. It has been published as GANYMEDE UNFINISHED, a 298-page paperback book including the edgy works of a couple dozen or so gay writers and artists. A tribute to John Stahle has been organized for September 18th, 2010, at the LGBT Center on West 13th St and Seventh Avenue, and several people, me included, have been asked to read in his honor—the honor being all mine, of course.


Memorial details:

September 18th, 2010
2:30pm - 4:30pm
LGBT Center
208 West 13th Street
New York, NY

(This tribute memorial of readings, reflections, music and visual art will honor the life and work of John Stahle, writer, graphic designer, and editor of Ganymede, a journal devoted to gay men’s art, literature and culture based in New York City.)

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS.. it IS an HONOR...
    Besos y Abrazos
    Monet

    ReplyDelete