Friday, December 3, 2010

Cleaning Up "The Deuce"

By Tony Adams

Watch this video about the nearly completed clean-up of 42nd Street.

I am not entirely convinced about what Disney hath wrought on 42nd St. I know the real Times Square still lurks under this glitzy family-oriented skin. Ask any New Yorker. Do we walk through Times Square? Rarely. It's not a vibrant part of the city. It's a tourist park pasted into the middle of the city.

I wouldn't relish a return to the sleaze of the 70s/80s, but was this soul-killing, sexless sanitization the only alternative?

1 comment:

  1. I too am torn. While I loathe how it's become a souless corporate tourist waste land, the alternative proposition as laid out in the video of an even more souless corporate tower wasteland is worse. The Disneyfication of NY started there and what used to make NY so much and what is gone started getting pushed out from 42nd Street.

    ReplyDelete